Association & Activities
‘Spatika’ association of the department encourages the students to organize and participate in various Co-Curricular and Extension activities and thus helps in developing leadership qualities. Major activities of the association include Guest Lectures, Seminars, Student Lecture Series, National / International day Celebration, Quizzes, Intercollegiate competitions, Workshops, Wall magazine and e- magazines and activities related to Popularizing Chemistry. These activities are planned and organized systematically by the students under guidance of faculty members.
Programmes Organised by the Department
Seminars/ Conferences/ Guest Lectures
- Webinar on “Commercial prospects and Chemistry of Value added Plant Products” by Dr.K.K.Srinivasan, Former HOD and Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal on 19th December 2020
- One day Intercollegiate Science Competitions ‘Vijnaana Sinchana -2020’ to commemorate ‘International Science Day’ on 03rd March 2020.
- Lecture cum Demonstration programme “Chem Magic” by Prof. Ronald Mascarenhas, Rtd.HOD of Chemistry, St. Agne’s College, Mangaluru on 14th February 2020.
- Invited talk on “Chemistry in Everyday Life” by Dr.I.N.Namboothiri, Professor, Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai on 11th February 2020.
- Lecture cum Demonstration on “ Chemical Safety- Safe Chemistry” by Mr.Jagadisha Bhat, Manager and Head, department of Environment health and Safety, Solara Active Pharma Sciences, Mangaluru on 04th February 2020
- Special lecture on ‘A Fascinating Design History of Periodic Table of Elements: A Tribute to Dmitri Mendeleev’ to commemorate International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements (IYPT2019) on 27rd December 2019.
- Two Day National Seminar on “Recent Advances in Chemical Sciences” Sponsored by Science and Engineering Research Board, DST, New Delhi on 18th and 19th January 2019.
- Guest Lecture by Dr.Manjunatha S.G,Cre Agro PI Industries, Udaipur,Rajasthan 25st September 2017.
- Guest Lecture by Dr.P.V.Parthasaradhi, Vice President and Head, Department of Analytical R & D, Advinus Therapeutics Ltd, Bengaluru on 21st August 2017.
- Guest Lecture on “Importance of Higher Education and Research’ by Mr.S.S.Sanjay, Assistant Professor, SDMIT, Ujire on 03rd March 2017.
- One Day programme ‘Prospects of Chemistry’ to commemorate International Science Day and a lecture on “ Bird View of Chemistry in Research and Industry” by Mr. Sanjay, Assistant Professor, SDMIT, Ujire, on 3rd March 2016.
- Lecture cum Demonstration programme “CHEMAGIC-Learning Chemistry with Fun” by Prof. Ronald Mascarenhas, Rtd.HOD of Chemistry, St. Agne’s College, Mangaluru on 13th August 2015
- One Day Programme to commemorate the International Year of Chemistry-2011 sponsored by Vision Group on Science and Technology, Govt of Karnataka on 14th December 2011.
- UGC sponsored Three Day State Level Seminar on “Modern Techniques in Analytical Chemistry” from 29-07-2004 to 31-07-2004.
- Alumni Interaction by Jishnu P.V, Senior Research Fellow, department of Life Sciences, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
- Alumni Interaction by Mr.Havyaas, Under Trainee, Indian Navy, Vizag on 22nd august 2019.
- Alumni Interaction by Ms.Sahithya, Research Scholar Comenius University, Bratislava on 18th July 2019.
- Alumni Interaction by Mr.Pramod, IAF, Chandigarh and Mr.Sujith Gowda, Indian Navy Goa on 2nd July 2019
- Alumni Interaction by Ms. Hema Mandapanda, JRF, Defense Institute of Psychological Research, NewDelhi on 21st September 2017.
- Alumni Interaction by Mr.Vipin Cyriac, 11th August 2017.
- Alumni Interaction by Dr. Chaithanya Jain, National Scientific Research Laboratory, Department of Space, Andhra Pradesh on 12th January 2017.
- Alumni Interaction by Dr. Sampath Kumar, Laboratory Supervisor, Quality Control Laboratory, MRPL, ONGC, Mangaluru on 18th July 2016.
- Alumni Interaction by Mr. Shailesh Kumar.H .B, Wipro Limited, Electronic City, Bengaluru on 2nd July 2016.
Career Guidance Programmes
- “Career Opportunities and Higher Education” by Prof. Ronald Pinto, Director, Institute for Individual Development, Mangaluru on 18th August 2018.
- Career Orientation Programme by Dr.Sudhakar Y N,Assistant Professor, PG Department of Chemistry, SDM College, Ujire on 9th March 2018.
- Career Guidance Programme by Mr.Nagaraj Poojari, Co-ordinator, SDM Rotary Career Guidance 12th June 2017
- Career Orientation Programme by Prof. Ronald Pinto, Director, Institute for Individual Development, Mangaluru on 10th December 2016.
- “Career Opportunities – Preparartion of CV and Preparation for Interview” by Mr.Nagaraj Poojari, Co-ordinator, SDM Rotary Career Guidance 14th June 2016
- Career Orientation Programme by Prof. Ronald Pinto, Director, Institute for Individual Development, Mangaluru on 27th February 2016.
- Provides service to the public through ‘Soil Testing Centre’ of the department which undertakes testing of Soil and Water quality parameters
- Organises activities related to popularising chemistry, awareness programme on food adulteration, water conservation and no usage of plastics
- Conducts hands on training sessions to school students on low cost house hold products preparation using commonly available raw materials
- Shares its subject expertise and extends facilities to local school students in conducting experiments related to their syllabus
Extension programmes conducted
- Demonstration of Experiments to students Kukkavu Government School on 14th February 2020.
- “Preparation on Household Products” to SDM Kannada Medium High School students on 01st March 2019.
- “Detection of Adulteration in Food Stuffs” High School students of SDM English Medium School (CBSE) on 27st August 2018
- “Preparation on Household Products” to SDM Kannada Medium High School students on 06th February 2018.
- “Detection of Adulteration in Food Stuffs” High School students of SDM English Medium School (CBSE) on 24st August 2017
- “Detection of Adulteration in Food Stuffs” to SDM Kannada Medium High School students on 8th September 2016.
- “Preparation on Household Products” to SDM Kannada Medium High School students on 28th February 2017.
- “Preparation on Household Products” to SDM Kannada Medium High School students on 3rd February 2016.
- “Detection of Adulteration in Food Stuffs” to High School students of SDM English Medium School (CBSE) on 21st August 2015
- Demonstration of Chemistry Experiments to Teachers of Primary School, Belthangady taluk on 24th July 2015
The faculty of the department are actively involved in research. Material Chemistry, Corrosion Inhibition Studies, Nano Chemistry and Synthetic Organic Chemistry are the thrust areas of research. Apart from doctoral studies the faculty also apply for research projects funded by various government and private organizations. The outcome of research is visible in paper publications in journals of national and international repute. The department also has recognised Ph.D guides.
Ongoing Research Project
- ‘Development of eco-friendly nano-composites based electrochemical sensors for assessing anabolic-androgenic steroids and to study their interaction with DNA’ funded by Vision Group on Science and Technology (VGST), Govt. of Karnataka (Ref No:GRD No. VGST/RGS-F/GRD-923/2019-20/2020-21/198)
Investigator: Dr. Rajesh N. Hegde
Duration: 2 years
Amount: Rs.3,00,000 = 00
Research Projects Completed
- ‘Analysis of Nethravathi river water-A special reference to health’ funded by UGC
Investigator: Dr.Vishwanatha P
Duration: 2 Years (2009– 2011)
Amount: Rs.65,000 = 00
- ‘Qualitative and quantitative study of water quality in some selected pockets of Nethravathi river’ under COSIP funded by UGC
Investigator: Dr.Vishwanatha P
Duration: 2Years (1998-2000)
- ‘Studies on the oxidation of heterocyclic substrates’ funded by UGC
Investigator: Dr.Vishwanatha P
Duration: 2 years (1997-1999)
Amount: Rs.35,000 = 00
- ‘Synthesis, Spectral characterization & XRD studies of some Chalcones’ funded by Vision Group of Science & Technology, Govt. of Karnataka
Investigator: Dr. Sowmya B P
Duration: 2 years (2013-201)
Amount: Rs. 5,00,000 = 00
- ‘Studies on Synthesis of Chalcones& their Derivatives Derived from Benzofuran’ funded by UGC
Investigator: Dr. Sowmya B P
Duration: 2 years (2013-2015)
Amount: Rs. 2,00,000 = 00
- Kalluraya B, Chimbalkar R, Vishwanatha P, Kotian M. Synthesis and biological activity of some 2-aryl – 4 coumarinothiazoles. Indian J. Het. Chem.1995; 5: 153-4.
- Kalluraya B, Vishwanatha P, Chimbalkar R. Synthesis and antibacterial properties of some 2- substituted-4 coumarinothiazoles, Chim. Acta. Turcica. 1996;24: 119-21.
- Kalluraya B, Vishwanatha P. Synthesis and biological activity studies of 3-arylaminomethyl-7H-6- (6-substituted –3- coumarino)-s-triazolo [3,4-b][1,3,4] thiadiazines, Boll.Chim. Farmaceutico. 1998; 137: 169-72.
- Kallauraya B,Vishwanatha P. Sydnone derivatives Part-1: Synthesis of some 3-substituted-4 (3-arylaminomethyl-7H-s-triazolo [3,4-b] [1,3,4] – thiadiazin-6-y1)-sydnones, Indian J. Het. Chem.1998 ;7: 277-80.
- KallurayaB,Vishwanatha P, Rahiman A M.Sydnone derivatives Part-II: Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of 3 aryl-4- [2-(5- substituted-2- furfurylidenehydrazino) –4 thaizolyl] sydnones, Revue Roumaine de Chieme.2000; 45 (1):71-75.
- Kalluraya B,Vishwanatha P, Kotian M. Synthesis and biological activity studies of 6-substituted-3-[2-(5-substittuted-2-furfurylidene hydrazine)-4-thaizolyl] coumarins, Boll. Chim-Farmaceutico.2000;139: 236- 46.
- Kalluraya B, Vishwanatha P, Ganesh Rai, Rahiman A M,Suchetha. Synthesis and biological activity of some triazinothiadiazines.Indian J. Het. Chem.2002; 11: 287-90.
- Kalluraya B, Vishwanatha P, Hegde Jyothi C, Frank Priya V, Ganesh Rai. Sydnone derivatives part IV: Synthesis of some triazole thiadiazepines and their biological activity, Indian J. Het. Chem.2003;12: 355-56.
- Naveen S, Vasantha Kumar, Boja Poojary, Vishwanatha P, Lokanath N K,Abdoh M MM. Ethyl -1- (4–Flurobenzyl) -2-(4- methoxy phenyl)-1H-benzo(d) imidazole-5-carboxylate.IUCr Data. 2016;161744. ISSN: 2414-3146.
- Samshuddin S, Naveen S, Ananya L N, Vishwanatha P, Lokanath N K, Muneer Abdoh. 2, 5- Bis – (4- chlorobenzylidene) cyclopentanone.IUCr Data.2016;161865. ISSN: 2414-3146.
- Rajesh N Hegde, Vishwanatha P. Voltammetric Detection of Cinnarizine at Multiwalled Carbon Nano Tubes Modified Paste Electrode, International Journal of Research and Scientific Innovation.2018;5(1):31-41. ISSN: 2321-2705.
- B P Sowmya, B S Holla. Synthesis, Characterisation and study of thermodynamic properties of 1-(2,4-dichlorophenyl)-3-(naphth-1-yl)-2-propen-1-one. Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research. 2018; 5(7): 68-73.
- Purandara H, Raghavendra S, SebineForo, Prashanth Patil, Thimme Gowda B, Dharmaprakash S M, Vishwanatha P. Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization, crystal structure, Hirshfeld surface analysis and third order nonlinear optical properties of 2-(4-chlorophenoxy)-N’- [(1E) -1- (4- methylphenyl) ethylidene] acetohydrazide.Journal of Molecular Structure.2019; 1185: 205-11. ISSN:0022 – 2860.
- Shashiprabha, Sanjay SS, MohanTP andVishwanatha P. Microwave assisted, solvent free, green synthesis of pyrimidine derivatives. International Journal Shodha.2020; 9: 134-40. ISSN: 2249 –0396.
- Premanand M Honavar, Vasantha Kumar, Nikhil P, NaveenKumar, Sreenivasa S, Vishwanatha P, Boja Poojary,Shivarama Holla B.Synthesis, antiinfammatory activity and in silico studies of some novel morphine based carboxamides. Asian Journal of Chemistry.2020; 32(4): 901- 06. ISSN:0970-7077.
- Sujay M M, Shivakumar H R,Vishwanatha P. Physical behavior of Areca Leaf – Carbon Nanotube – Vinyl Ester and Eupatorium Fiber Carbon Nanotube – Vinyl Ester reinforced hybrid polymer composites. IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry.2020; 13(5): 32-39. ISSN: 2278-5736.
- Premanand M Honavar, Prithvi S Shirahatti, Ramith Ramu HS,Arunodaya, Vasantha Kumar, Gurubasavaraja Swamy P M, Naveen Kumar, Vishwanatha P,Shivarama Holla B. Synthesis, antidiabetic, antimicrobial and molecular docking studies of some new rhodanine acetic acid derivatives. Indian Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry.2020;30(02): 211- 16.ISSN(Online): 2456-4311, ISSN(Print):0971-1627.
- Narayana Hebbar, Praveen B M, Prasanna B M, Vishwanatha P. Electrochemical and adsorption studies of 4-Chloro,8-(Trifluoromethyl)Quinoline (CTQ) for mild steel in acidic medium. Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention. 2020;20(5): 1516-1523.
- G. Banuprakash, B. M. Prasanna, Narayana Hebbar, T. S. Manjunatha. Capability of a novel schiff base for steel in 1 M HCl media. Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention. 2020;20(2): 572–579.
- Kalluraya B, Vishwanatha P, Arun M. Isloor, Ganesh Rai. Synthesis of some triazolothiadiazines as possible antifungal agents. Journal of the Indian Council of Chemists. 1999; 16(2): 26- 28.
- Shashiprabha, Sanjay S S, Vishwanatha P, Sudhakar Y N. Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of quinoline bound imidazoles.Mapana Journal of Sciences.2018;17(2): 53-59. ISSN: 0975-3303.
- Nefisath P, VishwanathaP, Sudhakar Y N, Synthesis and characterization of benzoxazinone derivatives.Mapana Journal of Sciences.2018;17(2): 47-51. ISSN: 0975-3303.
- Shashiprabha, B. Shivarama Holla,Vishwanatha P and Nefisath P. Synthesis and characterization of chalcones and pyrazolines derived from substituted aryl ether.Mapana Journal of Sciences.2019; 18 (2): 13-19. ISSN: 0975-3303.