Association & Activities
SankhyaSangama, the association of the statistics department was started with the view of inculcating the knowledge about the benefits of statistics to daily lives as well as to provide an insight on the professional aspects of the subject. Several trainings, workshops and seminars have been conducted as a part of the activities of the association. Some of them are
Training:(Department provides regular training on the following)
- Statistical Package ‘R’
- Advanced Microsoft Excel
- LaTeX Software for Document Processing
- Competitive exams such as NET, and KSET
Seminars / Presentations:
- National Seminar on “Recent Trends in Statistical Inference and Data Analysis”
- Seminar / Project Presentations for students on various statistical topics / techniques
Guest Lectures :
- Concepts of Testing of Hypothesis: ‘Randomized and Non-randomized test, Most Powerful Test (MPT), Uniformly Most Powerful Test (UMPT), Uniformly Most Powerful Unbiased Test (UMPUT) and Problems on Pitman Family’. (Resource person: Dr. R. N. Rattihalli, Professor of Statistics (Visiting), University of Hyderabad).
- Likelihood Inference: (Resource person: Dr. K. ArunaRao, Professor of Statistics (Rtd.), Mangalore University).
- Cantelli – Glivenko – Weierstrass – Bernstein – Borel – aconnection: (Resource person: Dr. S. Ravi, Professor, Department of Studies in Statistics, University of Mysore).
- IAS Examination Pattern and Importance of Statistics in various Competitive exams: (Resource person: Mr. Khanij Kumar, Software Engineer, Cisco, Bangalore).
- Statistical Techniques applied in Public Health and Medicine: (Resource person: Dr. Haikady N. Nagaraja, Professor Emeritus, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- Graphical Representation of Statistical Data and Interpretation, and Kernel and Non-parametric Density Estimation: (Resource person: Dr. Susham Bendre, Professor, Applied Statistics Unit, ISI, Chennai Centre, Chennai.
- Use of LaTeX Software for Document Processing: (Resource persons: Dr. Shambhu Sharma and Ms. Supriya S. P., Department of PG Statistics, S.D.M. College PG Centre).
- SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Science): (Resource person: Mr. Manoj Gokhale, Cenduit Private Limited, Bangalore).
- Preparation of Questionnaire: (Resource person: Dr. Ramachandra Bhat, Emeritus Scientist (Economics), Indian Council of Agricultural Research, College of Fisheries, Mangalore).
- SAS – University Edition : (Resource persons: Dr. Kalyan Joshi, SAS Inc., Pune; Mr. S. V. Rajguru, Assistant Professor, Department of Statistics, Shivaji University, Kolhapur; Mr. Manjunath, GE Digital, Bangalore; Mr. Chethan P., Assistant Manager, TCS, Bangalore; and Mr. Pradeep K., Department of PG Statistics, SDMC, Ujire).
- Python Software: (Resource person: Mr. Cherala Sriharsha, Associate Analyst, Goldman Sachs, Bangalore)
- Classification using Logistic Regression and Random Forest in R : (Resource person: Mr. Arthur D’Silva, Manager, Tata Consultancy Services [TCS], Bangalore)
- ‘R’ Software: (Resource person – Mr. Shravan, Analyst, Sattva Consulting Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore.)
- Certificate Course on “Data Science and Machine Learning Bootcamp with Python” : (Resource persons – Mr. Chandan Sinha, Lead Software Engineer, SoftwareAG, Bangalore, Dr. Thyagaraju G. S., Professor and Head, Dr. Guru Prasad M. S., Assistant Professor, Mr. Chandrappa S., Assistant Professor, and Mr. Prithviraj Jain, Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, SDM IT, Ujire.)
- University level Inter-collegiate Fest “SankhyaSangama” for the undergraduate statistics students of Udupi and Dakshina Kannada.
- Industrial Visit to Dakshina Kannada District Co-operative MilkProducers’ Societies’ Union Limited, Kulshekar, Mangalore for the PG students of statistics.
- ‘Internship’ opportunities are provided to a limited number of students by the department.
- Organized various Alumni Interactions.
- Educational visit to Central Plantation Crops Research Institute (CPCRI), Vittal, for the PG students of statistics.
School visit to Morarji Desai Residential School, Machina, in the sphere of extension activity and social responsibility.