The Department is one of the earliest departments established in the year 1966.
The Core and Elective Mathematics courses are aimed at building a strong foundations and exposure to advanced research studies in the subject. The Laboratory based courses give the exposure and training in application-oriented practical subjects. A good competent faculties of the department promotes students to take part in career related activities. Department has good placement record.
‘Math Clinic ‘is a unique Subject-Association of the department which organizes talks and discussions on mathematics and related topics
1. One day Workshop on “basic molecular biology tools” on 14th April 2008 Conducted by Dr. Sudha and Dr. Vasudha, Aristogene , Bangalore. Delivered talk on Gene cloning, and what type of skills students should develop to enter the industrial sectors.
2. Department level guest lecture organized on 28/02/2008AN on the topic overview and brief history of biotechnology by Prof. B. Abdul Rahiman Professor, Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Kuvempu University, Shimoga.
3. Department level guest lecture organized on 28/02/2008 on the topic cancer a multifaceted disease by Prof. Vijayalakshmi, K.K. Professor, Department of Zoology, Mangalore University Mangalore.
4. Department level guest lecture organized on 17/04/2008 on the topic bioprocess technology by Dr. Anu Appaiah Scientist, CFTRI, Mysore.
1. Genix club reopening and Opening ceremony of Wall magazine ‘Jaivika Manjari’ done by Dr. D.C Chowta on 08th Sept 2008.
2. Department level guest lecture organized on 03-Oct-2008 on the topic Biotechnological opportunities from Fungi by Prof. D.J Bhat, Department of Botany, Goa University, Goa.
3. Department level guest lecture organized on 10-Nov-2008 on the topic Plant Biotechnology Prof. V. Krishna, Department of Biotechnology, Kuvempu University, Shimoga.
4. Department level guest lecture organized on 30-Oct-2008 on the topic Bio-diesel production by Mr. Abijith Das and Mr. Abishek .
5. Department level guest lecture organized on 22-Nov-2008 the topic Animal Biotechnology by Prof. Riaz Mahmood, Department of Biotechnology, Kuvempu University, Shimoga.
6. CMAP Scientist Prof. R.R. Rao, Emeritus Scientist, CMAP Bangalore visited our Laboratory and Arboretum on 07th Mar2009.
7. Department level guest lecture organized 21-Mar-2009,on the topic Phytophthora-A plant destroyer by Prof. R. Chandra Mohan, Department of Botany, CPCRI, Kasargod.
8. organized National Level Conference on 24th & 25th Jan 2009, Prof. R.R. Rao, Emeritus Scientist, CMAP Bangalore Inaugurated the Conference entitled The role of Biotechnology in herbal drug development and conservation of Biodiversity.
9.Organized Two days HRD programe about Personality Development &Training program
on 11th & 12th Apr-2009 Mr. Jagadeesh, Sr. Manager Toyota Kirloskar Motor Pvt. Ltd, Bangalore Mr. Prasad, M.N. Sr. Consultant and Business analyst.
10.Organized Two days Work shop on 12th & 13th Apr 2009 subject entitled Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology tools by Dr. Sudha, Aristogene Laboratory, Bangalore. & Mr. Manjunatha Dammalli, Polyclone Bioservices Pvt., Ltd. Dharawad.
1. Genix club reopening and Opening ceremony of Wall magazine Jaivika Manjari on 16-Sept-2009 by Dr. Y.L Ramachandra.
2. Department level guest lecture organized on 16-Sept-2009 on the topic entitled Programmed Cell Death or Apoptosis by Dr. Y.L Ramachandra.
3. Department level guest lecture organized on 23-Sept-2009 on the topic entitled High Speed & High Performance Computing in Bioinformatics by Mr. Praveen Kumar CEO, Software Business Solutions.
4. Department level guest lecture organized on 23-Sept-2009 on the topic How to beat recession
OR Learnings from recession by Mr. Praveen Kumar CEO, Software Business Solutions.
5. Organized One day Seminar on New research Avenues on 15-Oct-2009, topic entitled Research avenues in Biotechnology , talk delivered by Prof. Krishnamoorthy dept. of Biosciences Mangalore Universityand Prof. N.H. ManjunathaDept. of Biochemistry, Bangalore UniversityBangalore.
6. Department level guest lecture organized on 08-Feb-2010,topic entitled Stem cell research by Dr. Latha Chukki Scientist, Polyclone Biosciences Bangalore.
1. Biotechnology Organized a UGC sponsored National conference , in association with Polyclone Bioservices Pvt.,Ltd on “Biotechnological Prospecting in Herbal Antiviral & Anticancerous Drug Development” on 17th & 18th February 2012, Dr.Vellarkad N.VishwanadhanVice president &Head,Dept of computational chemistry as resource person.
2. Department of P.G Studies & Research in Biotechnology Oraganized Mangalore region Finals Bio Ouiz-2012 for B.Sc students with biology background on 31st January 2012 , Quiz Master Ms.Supriya as quize master.
3. Department of P.G Studies & Research in Biotechnology & Pilikula Regional Science Center,Mangalore Inaugurated “Workshop on Biotechnological Techniques” on 31st Oct 2011, Ingurated by
Dr.B.Yashoverma secretory SDME society.
1. Inaguration of Genix association on 12-11-13, by Dr.Jaya prakash Chair person Dept of Applied zoology,Bangalore University as a resourse person , he also delivered a talk entitled Molecular organization of eukaryotic chromosome.
2. Department of P.G Studies & Research in Biotechnology Oraganized a guest lecture on 15-04-2014. on the topic research methodology by Dr. Verranna S CEO , Niranthara herbals Bangalore.
3. Department of P.G Studies & Research in Biotechnology Oraganized a guest lecture on 15-03- 2014, on the topic entitled , cholesterol biosynthesis and regulation by Dr. Gopal Marathe Associate Prof.Dept of Biochemistry, mysore university.
1. Department level guest lecture organized on 25/11/2015 , on the topic Molecular aspects of fertilization & development. by Prof.Siddaramaiah,Resource person Chamarajendra zoological garden ,Mysore .
2. Department level guest lecture organized by deparment of biotechnology on 23/09/2015 on the topic entitled Biotechnology beyond control by Dr.Rama Bhat prof.alvas college moodubidire.
3. Department level guest lecture organized by deparment of biotechnology on the topic entitled 16/11/2015 DNA Barcodes by Dr.Smitha Hegde, Professor .P.G Department of Biotechnology,St.Aloysius college,Mangalore .
1. An inter collegiate 2 days fest organized by department of biotechnology from 26/08/2016 – 27/08/2016 at sdm pg centre.
1.Guest lecture organized by department of biotechnology on 19/11/2016 on the topic entitled Natures Internet by Dr.Maruthi K R Principal Izee group of Management Studies ,Bengaluru .
2.Department level guest lecture organized by department of biotechnology on 10/05/2017 on the topic entitled Bioinformatics as a search tool by Dr. Sandeep Mallya , Dept of Bioinformatics, School of Life Sciences, Manipal University.
1.2 Days of college level workshop organized by department of biotechnology from 28/09/2018 – 29/09/2018 on the topic Genetics the basis of life.
Department persistently takes initiatives to guide school students for project works to be presented at Indian science congress for regional,state & National level compietitions.