“PHYSIKA”, the Physics Association of the P.G. Physics Dept. was inaugurated in 2012. The objective of Physika – our Physics Association, is to bring together programs and activities in a collective effort to strengthen our understanding of the laws of Nature and broaden our horizons. We aspire to do this by: Organizing Guest Lectures, workshops and seminars from resource persons in the relevant fields. Facilitating and conducting Science exhibitions and laboratory demonstrations to propagate the scientific temperament. Scheduling video lectures/interactions with experts and group discussions to savour the subject outside prescribed academic syllabi. Organizing Scientific and Industrial tours to get hands-on experience of the subject beyond classroom teaching. Bringing out a bi-monthly “wall magazine”, the aim of which is dissemination of subject knowledge independent of pedagogy. Conducting inter-department and inter-collegiate quiz/debate and other competitions.
DEPARTMENT ACTIVITIES AT A GLANCE
- Celebration of National Science Day“Physika” the association of PG Physics department celebrated National Science Day on 28th Feb. On this occasion, the department conducted inter-department competitions based on Science in daily life. On same occasion the wall magazine was released on the theme of this year’s Science Day “Science for the People and the people for Science”.
- Prof. Raveesha from CMRIT, Bangalore was the resource person for a lecture /experiment demonstrations on 1st May on “Innovations in simple experiments and design of apparatus”.
- Prof. T. N.Keshava, Former Principal, SDM College, Ujire gave a guest lecture on the topic “Chandrayaan– 2”, on 22nd August.
- Alumni Interaction program: Mr. Rahul, S., Mr. Ranjith Kumar and Mr. Karthik, Y. R., our proud alumni (2015-2017) currently pursuing Ph.D. at PPISR, Bangalore. They interacted with students about their research, current development and scope for future works.
- One-day educational trip to Pilikula Nisarga Dhama, Vamanjoor, Mangalore, on 2nd March for our first and second M.Sc. students. A show organized by Swami Vivekananda Planetarium and science and technology related practical demonstrations, followed by a visit to Pilikula Biological Park.
- One-day workshop on 03rd March for SDM final year B.Sc. students on Printed Circuit Board conducted by Dr. Sahana, K.
- Guest lecture on 05th March titled “A Journey of the helm of Universe” by Prof. A. P. Bhat, renowned astrophysicist & HOD of Physics, Poorna Prajna College, Udupi.
- Guest talk on 08th March by Mr. Lakshmi Narayana, Schema Zen Technologies Pvt. Ltd. on hardware board design and product design training hub. This is the training and research center, which give placement assistance to our students and also project for final year students.
- Prof. Sahana, K. of the dept. conducted Two days’ workshop on “Printed Circuit Boards” for final year Electronics and communication students of SDM Technical Institute (Polytechnic) College, Ujire, on 25th and 26th Sept.
- Guest lecture by Dr. Ravindra Shetty, Managing Director, Agent Technology Pvt. Ltd, Bangalore on “Industrial opportunities for M.Sc. Physics” followed by an interaction session. On the same occasion, Mr. Narasimha Shenoy, Senior Principal Engineer, UTC Aerospace Systems, Bangalore, addressed the students and he gave a brief talk on “Skill Enhancement and Innovation techniques”.
- Guest lecture on 08/09/2018. The resource person Dr. Praveen, K. C., Sci/Engg-D, Working at LEOS (ISRO), Bangalore, delivered a talk on “ISRO and its hierarchy, job opportunities at ISRO”. He also gave start up ideas for I and II year M.Sc. Physics students after M.Sc. to step into ISRO.
- Two-day Science Academies’ Lecture-Workshop on “Topology in Condensed Matter Physics” on 2nd & 3rd March. The program was sponsored by Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, and The National Academy of Sciences, India, Allahabad. Resource persons were Prof. Chandan Dasgupta, Prof. Arindam Ghosh, Prof. Vijay, B. Shenoy & Prof. Subroto Mukerjee – all from Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru.
- Guest lecture on 08th Sept by Prof. Ajith, K. M., Dept. of Physics, NITK Surathkal on the topic: “Dirac delta function and Fourier transformation in Physics”.
- Guest lecture on 21st Sept. on the topic “Renewable Energy sources: Solar Energy” by Dr. H. Naganagouda, Director, National Training Center for Solar Technology, Karnataka Power Corporation Limited.
- Guest Lecture session on Continuous Wave Electron Paramagnetic Resonance (CW EPR), instrumentation and applications on 20th Nov. The resource person was Dr. Balachandra Hegde, Associate Professor at Rani Channamma University, Belgaum. Mr. Pratheek, our alumnus and currently research student of Dr. Hegde accompanied him.
The Dept. also has a Hobby Club for Electronics enthusiasts called ElectroHub. Its aims & objectives are:
- To construct & demnstrate electronics-based hobby projects/products.
- To motivate & create exposure in various avenues of hardware & software domains in electronics.
- To enrich knowledge & awareness in technical & technological aspects.
- To cater to various needs in keeping pace with the ever evolving field of electronics.