Association and Activities
Media Messenger Club:
Media Messenger is one of the club activities in Journalism and Mass Communication department. It was started in the year 2008, which encourages students to take part in debates, discussions and analysis on contemporary issues.
Association also holds guest lectures, alumni interactions, workshops and other practical aspects related to the field of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Department nurtures students with practical training in print, audio visual and new media.
SDM Gazette, news daily, is the platform where students are trained in news reporting, editing, editorial writing, page design and circulation.
Nammura Varthe, is half an hour electronic news bulletin which trains students in TV news reporting, camera execution, scripting, anchoring, voice over and video editing.
Radio Ninada 90.4 – community radio station is functioning under the department of journalism and mass communication providing training in all wings of audio production.
Students under the guidance of faculty script and upload various types of research articles for Wikipedia platform.
Regular contributions including Manada Maatu (Inteview series), documentaries, short films, PSA, web-series, corporate videos produced by SDM Multimedia Studio, functioning under the department for the social media platforms.
The department extends its support and guidance in organizing and managing press meets, preparing press notes and helps to establish media relations to other institutions and organizations of the community.
It also offers orientation and training to the schools and other institutions of the Taluk and it furnishes documentation services on demand.
Department provides platform to the community by recognizing rural problems, identifying latent talents and publishing success stories to inspire public. It also preserves local art and culture by documenting and publishing the contents in virtual form.
Department is contributing for the academic arena through conducting research on thrust areas of journalism and mass communication by the faculties as well as students.
- Department organized UGC Sponsored National Seminar on “Media Power in Politics” on October 22nd and 23rd 2010.
- Department organized a National Seminar on “Journalism & Society on March 21 and 22nd, 2013.
- Department Organised a National Seminar in association with avadhimag.com on “Social Networking Media: Boon or Bane?”On March 7th and 8th 2014.
Two faculty of the department awarded with a Ph.D.
Research papers published: Mr. Bhaskar Hegde
- Submitted PhD. thesis entitled “Impact of Newspaper in Education: A Comparative Analysis of Two Leading Kannada Dailies”, under the able Guidance of Prof. G P Shivaram, Professor in Journalism and Mass Communication at Mangalore University, Mangalore.
- Completed Minor Research. Title “Grass Root Journalism: Role of Newspaper in Rural Development” funded by UGC
- Published a write up in Suddi bidugade titled as “Madari Collegena Adarsha Pranshupala Dr. B. Yashovarma” on December 31st 2015 to January 6th 2016 issue.
- Published an article titled “Friend, Guide and Philosopher” in a book “Nudiranjana” with ISBN 978-81- 926-593- 1-2 on the occasion of Dr. Niranjan Vanalli Felicitation Program.
- Published an article title “Odugara Hrudayakke LaggeItta Sodigadheya Cheluveyaru” published in “SogasuKanuvaManasu” with ISBN number 978-81- 926-593- 0-5.
- Published two articles in value education book of Shantivana Trust Dharmasthala and also 12 columns published in Manjuvani monthly magazine.
- Published an article entitled “Role of Newspaper in Enhancing Education”, in an International Journal of Scientific Research, Volume 5, Issues 12, December 2016 with an ISSN No. – 2277 – 8179. Pp. 67-68, Impact Factor 3.508
- An article titled ‘Impact of Newspaper in Education: A Comparative Analysis of Leading Two Kannada Dailies’ was published in an International Journal of Scientific Research, March 2018, Volume 7, Issue 3, ISSN No: 2277 – 8179. Impact Factor: 4.758
- An article titled ‘Present Status of Print Media and Electronic Media’ was published in Vidyawartha, Oct to December 2017, Volume 11, Issue 20, ISSN No: 2319 – 9318.
- An article titled ‘Role of newspaper in Enhancing Education’ was published in an International Journal of Scientific Research, March 2016, Volume 5, Issue 12, ISSN No: 2277 – 8179. Impact Factor: 4.758
- An article titled ‘Impact of Public Communication Campaigns: A Case Study among College Students’ was published in Vidyawartha, March 2017, Volume 01, Issue 17, ISSN No: 2319 – 9318.
- Presented a paper entitled “Press as a Vehicle for Effective Rural Development: A Study of Mangalore District” in a National Conference on “Youth For Social transformation – Involvement and Initiatives” organized by Department of PG Studies and Research in Social Work, SDM College, Ujire held on 19 th and 20 th February, 2014.
- Presented a paper titled ‘The Role of Newspaper in Enhancing Education’ in a National Seminar on ‘Advertising and CSR’, Media Manthan’14: ADVent, organized by Department of Mass Communication St. Aloysius College (Autonomous), Mangalore on 21 st to 23 rd February 2014.
- Presented a paper entitled “Role of Newspaper in Curriculum Development” in the National Seminar on “Media in Contemporary Society and Communifest – 234” organized by Department of Journalism, Sahyadri Arts College, Shimoga, on 28th and 29th March, 2014
- Participated in syllabus review workshop, as part of B.O.S. organized by Tumkur University on April 23 rd 2014.
Dr. Hampesh K. S
- K S, Hampesh, (2009), “The Impact of Radio Programmes on Listeners: A Study of Chitradurga AIR”, “Science Communicator”, Volume 01 (02), pp: 49–64, ISSN Number: 2231 – 217X.
- K S, Hampesh, (2011), “Development of Media Literacy Skills”, “Vidura” Volume 03 (01), pp: 12–14, ISSN Number: 0042 – 5303.
- K S, Hampesh, (2012), “Autism in Indian Cinema and Cultural Representation”, “Shodha”, Volume 01 (02), pp. 103-106, ISSN Number: 2249 – 0396.
- K S, Hampesh, (2012), “Impact of Mass Media on Yakshagana: A Study of Belthangady Taluk”, “Shodha”, Volume 02 (01), pp. 108-112, ISSN Number: 2249 -0396.
- K S, Hampesh & Dr. Sathish Kumar (2012), “Role of Television Programmes in Rural Development: A Study of Select Districts in Karnataka”, “International Journal of Scientific Research”, Volume 01 (05), pp. 63-64, ISSN Number: 2277 – 8179, Impact Factor: 4.176.
- K S, Hampesh & Dr. Sathish Kumar (2012), “Bhoomi Project as an E-Governance Initiative: A Study of Select Districts in Karnataka”, “International Journal of Scientific Research”, Volume 01 (05), pp. 65-66, ISSN Number: 2277 – 8179, Impact Factor: 4.176.
- K S, Hampesh, (2013), “Coverage of Development Issues In Local Dailies: A Study with Special Reference to Shimoga City”, “Shodha”, Volume 02 (02), pp. 72-82, ISSN Number: 2249 – 0396.
- Hegde, Bhaskar & Dr. Hampesh K S (2016), “The Role of Newspaper in Enhancing Education”, “International Journal of Scientific Research”, Volume 05 (12), pp. 67-68, ISSN Number: 2277 – 8179, Impact Factor: 3.508.
- Dr. K S, Hampesh, (2017), “E-Governance in India: Concept, Initiatives and Issues”, “Vidyawarta”, Volume 01 (17), pp. 31-35, ISSN Number: 2319 – 9318, Impact Factor: 4.014, Jr. No: 62759
- Dr. K S, Hampesh, (2017), “Role of Kissan Vani Programme in Agricultural Development”, “Vidyawarta”, Volume 04 (18), pp. 10-15, ISSN Number: 2319 – 9318, Impact Factor: 4.014.
- Dr. K S, Hampesh, (2017), “Impact of Using Celebrities in Advertisement: A Case Study of Dakshin Kannada District”, “Media and Communication Studies”, Volume 07 (01), pp. 10-15, ISSN Number: 2231 – 1033, Impact Factor: 3.929.
- Dr. K S, Hampesh, (2017), Portrayal of Women in Media, Printing Area, International Multilingual Research Journal, Volume 1, Issue 34, October 2017, ISSN: 2394 5303, Pp. 52-56, Impact Factor: 4.002, Jr. No. 43053
- Dr. K S, Hampesh, (2017), Ambedkar and Democracy (Ambedkar Mattu Prajaprabutva), Samvada, October 2017, Volume 15, Issue 12, Pp. 42-45.
- Dr. K S, Hampesh, (2018), “Press as a Vehicle for Effective Rural Development: A Study of Mangalore District”, Vidyawarta, Volume 14 (21), March 2018, ISSN: 2319-9318, Pp. 24-30, Impact Factor: 5.131, Jr. No. 62759.
- Dr. K S, Hampesh, (2018), Present Status of Tulu Cinema, “Shodha”, Volume 08 (01), pp. 47-62, ISSN Number: 2249 – 0396.
- Dr. Hampesh K. S, (2018), A Study of Women’s Psyche in the Eyes of Satyajit Ray: A Critical Evaluation, International Journal of Basic and Applied Research, August 2018, Volume 8, Number 8, ISSN 2249 — 3352 (P) 2278 – 0505 (E): 157-166, Impact Factor: 5.86, Jr. No. 64041.
- Dr. Hampesh K. S, (2018), Television as a Positive Contributor in the Socialization of Children: A Study of Belthangady Taluk. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2018; 9(3): 635-638, ISSN: 0975-6795.
- Dr. Hampesh K. S, (2018), Juxtaposing ‘Journalism and Society’: The Need for Insightful Thinking and Fundamental Examination. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2018; 9(4): pp. 737-739, ISSN: 0975-6795.
BOOK WITH ISBN NUMBER
- K S, Hampesh (2011) “Digital Media and Ethics” in a book “Changing Paradigms of Media Landscape in the Digital Age – Issues and Perspectives (with Special Reference to Rise of Social Media)”, Published by Amity School of Communication, Amity University Press, Rajasthan (AUR) Jaipur, India, March 2011, Issue – 1, ISBN No: 9588180111075, pp: 431 – 439.
- K S, Hampesh (2011) “Role of New Media in Political Communication: A New perspective” in a book “Issues of Journalistic Ethics and Freedom in the Contemporary Age of Digital Media”, Published by Calcutta University Press, Calcutta, March 2011, Issue – 1, ISBN No: 81-86263-004, Pp: 469.
- K S, Hampesh, (2012), “Impact of EDUSAT on College Students” in Prof. Jagannath Dange (Eds) “ICT Infrastructure in Indian Education” Prateeksha Publications, Jaipur, Pp: 281 – 318, ISBN: 978-93-80626-66-6
- K S, Hampesh & Jayalakshmi Alva (2013), “Role of SKDRDP in Rural Development: A Study of Belthangady Taluk” in Prof. Bhaskar Hegde (Eds) “Journalism and Society”, Vismaya Prakashana, Mysore, Pp: 129-132, ISBN Number: 938287700-2.
- K S, Hampesh (2013), “Biopic Cinema in Hollywood and Bollywood: A Study” in Ms. Anisha (Eds.), “Media Ethics and Practices”, Publisher: Dr. Manjula K.T., Principal, Besant Women’s College, Mangalore, Pp: 27-33, ISBN Number: 978-93-5126-031-8.
- Hampesh K S (2014) “Wikipedia in the Age of ICT” in a book “Strategies and Action Plans for Sustainable Development in Higher Education” Published by Presidency College, Bangalore, in association with La Trobe University, Australia, Birmingham City University, UK, Association of Business Executives (ABE), UK and Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), UK on August, 2014 with an ISBN Number – 978-81-930003-0-4. Pp: 350 – 353.
- Hampesh, K S (2018), Role of Communication in Rural Development, Lambert Academic Publishing, Mauritius, ISBN: 978-613-984878-2.
PAPER PRESENTATIONS IN NATIONAL LEVEL CONFERENCES
- Presented a paper on the topic “Ethical Dimensions of Paid news in Indian Media” in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on “Media Power in Politics” on October 22nd and 23rd 2010, held at Department of PG Studies in Mass Communication & Journalism, SDM College, Ujire.
- Presented a paper entitled “Innovative Teaching-Learning Process in Journalism: A Study of SDM College” in the NAAC sponsored Two Days National Seminar on “Lessons Learnt from IQAC: Moving Forward and Making a Difference” – organizing by S.D.M. College, Ujire on March 27th & 28th 2012 held at SDM College, Ujire.
- Presented a paper titled “Economic, Social and Cultural Rights for Dalits in India” in the National Conference on “Media and Human Rights: The Global Scenario” on 23rd November, 2011 organized by Karnataka State Higher Education Council and Centre for Communication Programmes, Tumkur University held at Karnataka State Higher Education Council, Palace Road, Bangalore.
- Presented a paper entitled “Ethical Dimensions of Online Journalism” in the National Conference on “Ethical Issues and Indian Media” on November 26th and 27th 2010, organized by Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Periyar University, Salem, Tamilnadu in Collaboration with Association of Communication Teachers (ACT-TN & P).
- Presented a paper entitled “Media and Good Governance” in the National Conference on “Quest for Good Governance The Need for Innovative Approaches” organized by Department of P.G. Studies and Research in Social Work, S.D.M. College, Ujire on March 8th & 9th 2012.
- Presented a paper entitled “Role of Newspaper in Curriculum Development” in the National Seminar on “Media in Contemporary Society and Communifest – 234” organized by Department of Journalism, Sahyadri Arts College, Shimoga, on 28th and 29th March, 2014.
Research Publications (Journals)
- JOURNAL – Journal Global Values – ISSN 0976-9447: Research paper titled ‘Significance of T S Nagabharana movies in the contemporary society- A study’ published in Journal Global Values, a journal of international values (Vol-IV No.1 – Feb 2013): Anu Books, Meerut: Editor: Dr Geetha C
- JOURNAL – Chinthana Bayalu – ISSN 2278-2192: Kannada research paper titled “T S Nagabharana Cinemagala Nrutya Samyojana Vaishishtya” (Unique dance patterns in T S Nagabharana movies) published by ‘Chintana Bayalu’, a Kannada quarterly (Vlume 1, Issue 2, July-September 2012: Editor: Reshma G Bhat
- Edited Book (ISBN 978-81-922207-1-0)titled ‘Shiskshana Mattu Samaja: Bahushisteeya Drushtikonagalu’: Editors- B.H.Anjanappa, S M Muttaiah. Published research paper Shikshana Mattu Samooha Madhyamagalu
- Kannada book Madhyama Manthana (2009); Published by Sri Raghavendra Printers, Hasan
- Kannada book Samooha Madhyamagalu Mattu Bhashe (2013); Published by Prasaranga, Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta ISBN-13:978-81-925193-9-5:
- Kannada Book Ananya Haadiya Hejjegalu(2015); Published by Baraha Publishing House, Bangalore ISBN 93-81821-26-7 :
- Kannada Book Digdarshaka Dhwani (2018) Published by Shubhada Enterprises, Bangalore
- Edited Book: As a Co-editor:: The book titled ‘Mahile Mattu Malenaadu’ (2014); The book published in memory of Silver Jubilee celebration of Kuvempu University by Prasaranga and Women Resource Centre, Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta, ISBN:978-93-83985-02-9
- Minor Research Project on Dr B R Ambedkar secular views and Indian cinema
- Amount: 50,000
- Source of funding: Dr B R Ambedkar Study Center, Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta
RESEARCH PAPERS PRESENTED:
- Research paper titled ‘Samooha Madhyama Samvahana Mattu Samaja: Savaalugalu’ presented at VII sociological conference on ‘Sociology for future- Problems and Challenges’ organized by Karnataka Sociology Association at Kuvempu University, Shankaraghatta: 29th February and 1st March, 2008
- Research paper titled ‘Shikshana Mattu Samooha Madhyamagalu’ presented at one-day state level seminar on ‘Shikshanada Hakkugalu’ jointly organized by Karnataka Kanoonu Mattu Samsadeeya Sudharana Samsthe, Bangalore and Sahyadri Science College, Shimoga at Sahyadri Collge, Shimoga: March 26, 2011
- Research paper titled ‘Documenting Development Conflicts: Representative Identity of Kannada Movies’ presented at national seminar on ‘Communication for Development and Social Change: Exploring Future Avenues’ jointly organized by Karnataka State Higher Education Council and Dept of JMC, Tumkur University, Tumakuru, at Karnataka State Higher Education Council Hall, Bangalore: September 29th, 2012
- Research paper titled ‘Portrayal of Development Dilemma in Puttakkana Highway’ movie’at national seminar on ‘State, Society and Development’ organized by Dept. of Sociology, Kuvempu University, at Shankaraghatta: April 10, 11, 2012
- Research paper titled ‘’Ethical Relevance of T S Nagabharana Movies- A Study’’ presented at national seminar on ‘’News and views in the convergence era- Challenges and opportunities’’ organized by the Department of Mass Communication and Journalism in association with Karnataka Media Academy at Dharwad: January 28th and 29th, 2013
- Research paper titled ‘T S Nagabharana Avara Cinemagalu: Ondu Vishleshanaatmaka Adhyayana’ presented at research meet organized by Department of PG Studies and Research in Education, Kuvempu Univesity: 29th September 2014
- Research Paper titled ‘Psychological Interpretative Articles of Prajavani Kannada Daily on women issues: An Analysis’ presented at Internationa Seminar organized by the Department of Psychology, S.V University, Tirupathi: 25th-26th 2017
Geetha A. J
- A J Geetha (2018)’ The role of communication in eradicating polio in India with special reference to Public service advertisements’. International journal of basic and applied research, Volume 8 (10). Pp 307-314. ISSN 2249-3352 (P) 2278-0505 (E). Cosmos Impact Factor-5.86
- A J Geetha(2018) , Strategic Use of AIDA Model in New Media to Raise Funds for Film Making in India- A study of Crowdfunded films’. International Journal of Research in Social Sciences, Vol 8 (12), Pp 51- 63. ISSN: 2249, Impact Factor7.81.
- A J Geetha (2019) ‘Practice of Institutional Social Responsibility in Higher Eduational Institutions: A study of Dakshina Kannda District’ International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews, ISSN 2348-1269.PP 362-365
- A J Geetha (2019) A review of Methodological discrepancies in Cultivation Research. Shodha,Volume 08 (02), pp ISSN Number: 2249 – 0396.
Papers presented at seminars/conferences
- ‘Nationalism and Hindi Cinema ‘- National Seminar on National Developmnet at Alva’s College, Moodabidire held on January 2017.
- ‘The role of communication in eradicating polio in India with special reference to Public service advertisements – International Seminar held at Manipal School of Communication on February 2017.
- ‘Impact of New Media on film making in India with special reference to Crowd funding – an alternative funding channel for the film industry’ .- National Seminar held at Nitte Institute of communication, Mangalore in November 2017.
- ‘Second screening – a hybrid method of media habit among youth’ – International Conference on Media, Content and Consciousness: Exploring the individual and collective held at Nitte institute of Communication, Mangaluru on 16th and 17th November 2018-
- ‘Practice of Institutional Social Responsibility in Higher Eduational Institutions : A study of Dakshina Kannda District’.- International Conference on Reaching the unreached through Education, held at Kuvempu University, Shimoga on 15th and 16th March 2019.
- ‘Social and ethical responsibility of Higher Educational Institution: A review’ – National Seminar on higher education held at SDM College of Business Management, Mangaluru on 11th January 2020.
The department has signed MoU’s with Wikipedia (Centre for Internet and Society, Bangalore), V4 News Network, Mangalore and Manipal Digital Network Private Limited, Manipal and with the Department of Journalism, Vivekananda College Putturu, to extend mutual co-operation and to provide a platform to the students of the college for practical exposure.